Check out the new features and improvements we've made based on teacher feedback.
To get the latest updates, bookmark this page and follow us on Twitter. Subscribe to our blog for the latest tips and tricks.
- Teachers can now integrate with Open Learning
- Added alerts for delete actions in the Workspace
- Improved printing layout of classification questions
- Added ability for teachers to see student drafts to questions in the grading panel.
- Added the info icon on assignment tiles in the student view so students can also access an assignment's essential question, description, and other data at a quick glance.
- Added ability for teachers and students to move their notes within an assignment .
- Added new info icon on assignment tile in catalog to allow for a quick glance view of the assignments essential question, description, and other data.
- Updated the assign modal to allow for teachers to assign to individuals (Prime feature), set start and due dates, and select optional assignment settings.
- Added Grade and Lexile level information to teaching ideas within all assignments.
- Updated lock/unlock feature to allow teachers to set start and due dates
- Added support for multiple languages in closed captions on videos when available
- Updates to our search bar making it more prominent
- Added support for teachers to export standards from assignments
- Added support for administrators to export standards data
- Added translation support for all languages currently supported by Google Translate
- Filter sidebar now supports filtering by assignment type
- New Present Mode added making it easier than ever to share your screen without giving away answers.
- Teachers can bulk lock and unlock the same assignment across multiple classes
- Added support to grant partial credit for questions that have more than one correct answer.
- New question types added
- New Summative Assessments added across all subject areas.
- Updates to the Actively Learn workspace, catalog, and class view
- Revamped student data page with more actionable recommendations
- Revamp of Admin Dashboard
- Optimized navigation on mobile
- Cleaned up formatting for printing text
- Captions added to videos
- Sync assignments and grades with Schoology
- Integration with Schoology now available for full school plans
- Featured "New Deep Dive" articles on catalog main page
- Optimized workspace for mobile
- Teachers can update their title and grade level under their profile section
- Districts may request (via our support team) disabling Independent Reading Library
- Students can now join Google classroom synced classes via a class code
- Languages added to our translation feature
- More "Extra Help" features
- Rocket ship icon on cover tiles of text to indicate text includes extra help
- Easier access to roster for turning on "Extra Help"
- Curriculum Units
- Admin report: New column added for admin to track "Extra Help" usage
- Lexile Levels have been added to text in our catalog
- Sub-menus added to our catalog for an easier browsing experience
- Updates made to Edmodo login process
- Teachers can remove embedded videos with our white out feature
- "Extra help" removes one incorrect choice from multiple choice questions
- Co-teachers can now import Google classroom course
- Suggested grading (beta)
- Small group discussions
- Add videos from Google drive
- Edit imported Google docs within Actively Learn
- Haitian and Creole languages added to our translation feature
- New assignment type in our catalog: PhET simulator
- New extra help feature: Add text summary
- Ability for teachers and students to tag other students and teacher in notes
- You can now split and assign Simon and Schuster text
- Improved catalog search
- Added "My data" tab for students
- Teachers can now import "flex books" from CK12
- Hungarian and Romanian languages added to our translation feature
- You can now split and assign HarperCollins text
- Purchasing single lessons for We the People has been removed
- Text published by Highlight now available for purchase by international users
- Improvement to school and district admins signups using Clever
- Check out our text pairings in our catalog
- Thai added to translation feature
- Teacher can import their own videos!
- Split longer free text by text sections
- Teachers on the Actively Learn free plan can now integrate with Clever through the Clever Library
- Admin report: Admins now able to view students' Proficiency by Standard across grade level or subject
- Teaching ideas available to help teacher get started with our popular text
- Admin report: Teacher Activity Reports now display co-teaching reading times in parentheses
- Admin report: Admins can view "Proficiency by standard" for each student across all their classes
- Option to restore student responses that are awaiting revision
- Default note categories have moved
- Admin report: Two new columns added to student activity in School Reports. "Note replies/reading times" and "Notes/Reading times"
- Bug fixes and product enhancements
- New Jersey standards now available
- Video assignments
- Use text-to-speech for entire text sections
- Re-designed Actively Learn catalog
- Added Florida state standards
- New features
- New set
- New features
- Co-author folders Team Plan and Up
- New sets
- New Instructional Resource section in our help center
- Option for words to be highlighted as they are spoken when using text-to-speech
- Added key vocabulary for assignments Team Plan and Up
- Minimizing questions
- Ability to add images to question response (must be enabled by teachers)
- Split your assignments in the Gradebook
- User names added to Gradebook export file
- Limit students access by grade level to independent reading catalog
- Added Turkish and Greek to translation list
- Implement videos added for "Activate Thinking" section in professional learning center
- Filter by Depth of Knowledge and standards in question summary view
- Admins can view last signed in date under manage users
- Folders have been added to Workspaces
- Added ability to merge duplicate student accounts
- New professional learning center section
- Added citation styles to student research section. APA and Chicago now available
- New Teaching Guides
- Archive and unarchive assignments
- Notes are included when printing out assignments
- Microsoft Office 365 login
- Students will have access to notes and questions in rental text with expired licenses
- In co-authored text the original creator of the assignment can remove invited co-authors
- State standards added for Texas, Virginia and Missouri
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) added
- Teachers can reply to student notes in research texts
- Added 2 more note categories for student research
- Notification of updates made to text added from School/District Libraries, and ability to download updated versions to workspace
- Ability to select multiple assignments when assigning to individuals Team Plan and Up
- Exporting grades for assignments Team Plan and Up
- Customize set default note categories
- Added tab in teacher reports to view teacher feedback to students
- Teachers can respond to "I don't understand" flags in quizzes
- Track the number of student retries in the activity report Team Plan and Up
- Hide text sections Team Plan and Up
- Schedule lock and unlock periods for assignments
- Timestamps on student revisions
- Create custom grading labels Team Plan and Up
- Tie teachers to multiple buildings School/District Plan
- Knowledge sets added to the catalog. Articles in each set include annotations and questions to help guide and activate student thinking.
- Display only model answers for your students by making changes to your reading settings
- Questions can now be added at the beginning of the text
- Merge multiple texts into a single assignment Team Plan and Up
- Penguin Random House titles to the Actively Learn catalog
- You can now export the activity report to review your class' progress Team Plan and Up
- Multiple Choice quiz questions are now randomized to prevent cheating Team Plan and Up
- Quiz settings: reveal multiple choice answers, enable reading aids, etc.
- Whiteout feature expanded to allow for whiteout of images
- Mobile-optimized experience: Actively Learn is now fully accessible on smartphones
- Turn off text-to-speech from reading settings
- Students can adjust the speed of text-to-speech, and change the voice of reader
- Add directions to quizzes
- New Grading options, including the addition of a 5th grading option
- Added the option to turn off the dictionary in reading settings
- Option to add 2 standards per question
- Switch a student from one class to another
- Easily move questions within the text
- New Google Classroom features: assignments now saved as drafts and grades can be synced with Classroom
- Students can now archive classes
- Actively Learn Chrome Extension for easy upload of internet articles
- Rental period for teachers and students now begins when the text is opened
- Note categories can now be edited
- Questions can be weighted in an assignment.
- You can filter on standards in the Catalog.
- Improved label management to add and remove labels separately.
- Note summary views now show note replies.
- Add question rigor to reporting by including DoK Levels.
- Replies to notes now visible in the 'Notes summary'.
- Research labels now included under the student report section.
- Clever students can now join classes that are not in Clever.
- All Text Settings now apply to Google Docs.
- Redirecting students now works for portions of the text students have not unlocked.
- Teachers and students can print quizzes Team Plan and Up
- Students now have one-click citations for their research texts.
- Inclusion of a Professional Development Category.
- Teachers can now Customize reading settings for individual assignments.
- Extended student aids: Students can now use hear it, define, and translate in notes and questions.
- Student can print assignments.
- Sign in - Has checkbox for "Show" when typing password
- New additions to translate: Hebrew and Urdu now included for a total of 21 languages.
- Student Reports can now be filtered by your classes in addition to all classes.
- Shared assignments include all original labels.
- Grading includes old grade with each reset response.
- For texts with multiple segments such as novels, Assignment Data now includes section-specific data.
- Skip questions you don't want to grade.
- Locked student names - Student names are now locked at signup, and only teachers can edit them.
- Collapsable notes - Shows a note preview to allow more notes to be visible at once.
- Simplified text views - Including student view, authoring view, and grading views.
- Improved Notifications for students.
- Additional translation added: Hindi.
- More note taking options for students including media use.
- Extra Help in questions - Provide students who receive extra help additional support when answering questio
- New definitions from the Merriam Webster Learner's Dictionary.
- Students can bring in their answers, highlights, and notes from Actively Learn into Google Docs with our Add-in Team Plan and Up
- Students can collaborate with their peers while researching Team Plan and Up
- Students can add Google Docs to Research Team Plan and Up
- Teachers can now see what texts students are adding to Research Team Plan and Up
- Directly clarify passages with students when they say they "don't understand".
- Expanded Independent Reading Library.
- Teachers can now add articles to the Independent Reading Library School/District Plan
- New student reading setting to control students' ability to translate.
- Additional languages available for translation - Spanish, French, Japanese, German, Italian, Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, Latin, Vietnamese, Somali, Filipino, and Ukrainian.
- All get on the same "page" by redirecting students to a specific line.
- Collaboration across schools in a District - search for teachers by name School/District Plan
- Pin questions, to keep them at the bottom of your screen while you browse the text.
- Improved smartphone experience - now supporting pinch & zoom.
- Change Username from your profile - for those times emails change.
- Assign to individual students Team Plan and Up
- Student Research Report Tab - To see what texts students are importing Team Plan and Up
- Student Mode - now every teacher can read as a student!
- Text translation - currently only English/Spanish (more languages coming soon!)
- Improved iPad highlighting
- New Collaborate menu in the Workspace
- Updated grading look and feel
- Google Classroom improvements
- School & District Admin dashboard updates School/District Plan
- Pin labels in your Workspace to quickly access groups of texts.
- A simplified and modernized UI.
- Google Classroom integration.
- You can now manage more than one text at a time! (Assign to class, share, delete, etc)
- Assignments can now have multiple labels to help with sorting & identification.
- Students can now request a question be reset for them to re-attempt their answer.
- New student portfolio to show growth over time through question responses Team Plan and Up
- Improved catalog with faster searching and easier filtering.
- Students can now see when they have unanswered questions in assignments.
- New help menu behind the "?" on every page.
- Differentiate instruction by giving selected students extra help notes Team Plan and Up
- Teachers can have an assignment locked after a due date.
- Teachers can whiteout text in an assignment which prevents students from seeing it.
- Teachers can bulk grade unanswered questions by question number, in addition to text section
- Teachers can add co-teachers to a class Team Plan and Up
- Teachers can print out assignments and student work Team Plan and Up
- Students can import texts to the "My Research" section for independent annotation Team Plan and Up