This Investigation Set is designed for students to explore different states of matter and to understand fundamental concepts related to the motion of atoms, effects of temperature on matter and phase changes.
Target Grades & Subject(s): Grades 6-12; Science
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Apply understanding of atomic and molecular processes to explain the structure, properties, and interaction of matter. (NGSS PS-1)
- Science and Engineering Practices (SEP)
- Students select appropriate tools to collect appropriate data while performing experiments. (NGSS, SEP 3)
- Construct explanations that are supported by multiple sources of evidence and are consistent with scientific ideas, principles and theories. (NGSS, SEP 6)
Before teaching Part 1: Matter is Everywhere!
- To introduce the investigation set, ask students to generate two lists, one of things they consider to be matter and the other of things they do not consider to be matter. Have students defend their lists and share with their peers.
Download the complete teaching guide: The State Matters!
Add this text series to your workspace from the Actively Learn catalog The State Matters!