This Investigation Set is designed for students to explore eukaryotic cell structure and mitosis.
Target Grades & Subject(s): Grades 6-12; Science, Biology
- Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
- Use a model to illustrate the role of cellular division (mitosis) and differentiation in producing and maintaining complex organisms. (HS-LS1-4)
- Science and Engineering Practices (SEP)
- Use and construct models for representing ideas and explanations. (NGSS, SEP 2)
Before teaching Part 1: [Download texts here]
- To introduce this investigation set, direct students to this website (have them mute their devices). Once there, have students click ‘Start’ and then identify the size of a human, a grain of rice and a skin cell, by zooming in and looking at the scale in the bottom right corner of the screen. Explain that this animation will provide context on the size of cells, which they’ll be exploring in this investigation set.
Download the complete investigation set Cellular Splits